The Social Media realm has been abuzz with news about the Datalogic Elf, so I decided to get my hands on one, because as I must admit, I also thought it looked pretty cool. Our engineers and QA folks are the ones who usually have the chance to handle and test our software on new hardware, but I figured I’d head over to their department and see if I could borrow one. The guys were more than willing to loan me one so I could snap a few pictures and give a few observations.
Here are a few of the more interesting features (to me):
– It looks like a ruggedized mobile phone
– It’s UI looks very similar to many new cell phones and the screen is larger than I expected (it uses the Windows Mobile 6.5 OS)
– Having used a Blackberry and iPhone, I easily picked up on how to navigate to different apps with the flick of a finger
– There are lights at the top of the device which show you the current keyboard function (this was especially convenient for me while using the keyboard and knowing which function I was in)
– It has a built-in camera (further adding to the ruggedized mobile phone feel)
– Dedicated “Talk” button for push-to-talk applications
Overall, it really is a pretty sleek device and I can see how it would be a very useful for someone working outside of the four walls; it’s relatively light, compact, and easy to carry around… kind of like a beefed up cell phone.
Pictures below… (more…)